We are the Dominican friars of the Province of St. Martin de Porres and we are committed to preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ for the salvation of souls.
Vietnam is a small country in Southeast Asia. In the 16th century, Catholic missionaries had evangelized the country. Many converted to Catholicism and faced persecution because of their faith. Most of these were local courageous lay men and women who … Continue reading
Meet the Friars
Br. Hugo Rojas, O.P.Learn About Our Student Friars
Br. Hugo was born in a small town in the province of Las Tunas, called San Manuel in Cuba. At the age of 14 he moved with his mother to the United States and settled in Miami. While going to school, Br. Hugo, worked for Kohl’s Department Stores in the Miami Area as a supervisor/manager. After being a member of a Dominican parish in Miami for 8 years, he made the decision to join this wonderful group of friars, and so the following year he applied and was accepted to the Province of St. Martin de Porres. Br. Hugo enjoys learning foreign languages, listening to music and exercising regularly.
Fr. Robert Perry, O.P.Learn More
Since his ordination, Fr. Bob has spent most of his years as a priest preaching and teaching. While traveling extensively throughout the United States, Canada, and parts of Africa, Fr. Bob has preached, lectured, and conducted numerous parish missions. He has also conducted retreats and workshops among university students, young and older adults, as well as priests, religious sisters, and brothers. In 1983, at the request of the newly formed Dominican Province of St. Martin de Porres, Fr. Bob founded the Aquinas Center of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. In 2006, Fr. Bob completed 13 years as Pastor of two parishes in Louisiana. His ministry for twenty years also included forming and preparing Dominican Students for religious life and ordination to the priesthood. Fr. Bob is currently in residence at St. Elizabeth University Parish in Lubbock, Texas.
Holy Rosary Catholic ChurchLearn More
Holy Rosary Parish was founded by the Dominican Friars in 1913 when they were invited by Bishop Nicholas A. Gallagher to serve the needs of 125 families living in what was then Houston’s south side. At the time, the city had only 82,000 citizens. As soon as the parish was established, work began on a two-story building on land donated by William H. McCarthy. Upon completion, the lower floor was used for the parish church; the upper floor served as the parochial elementary school, conducted by the Dominican Sisters of the Congregation of the Sacred Heart. Beginning with six classrooms and 25 children, the school grew into all eight grades by 1922 and remained open until 1963. The first Mass was held before construction was complete in a private residence. The first baptism in the parish was that of Joseph I. Macatee; the first funeral was for George Rick; and the first wedding was that of Charles Giraud and Mary Kittrell.